Friday News/Links – 8/7/09
The latest news on the Blues, as well as news from around the NHL and sports world. This week includes an interview with Ed Belfour, the Blues new minor-league and prospects goalie coach.
- Ed Belfour joins the Blues to serve as a coach to the minor-league and prospect goaltenders in Peoria. The story as well as comments from Belfour can be found at this link.
- The Blues first overall pick in the 2009 draft joined his Swedish team for their first skate yesterday. For the 2009-10 season Rundblad is expected to keep playing for the Swedish team Skellefte.
- Jeremy Roenick held a conference yesterday to make his retirement official after spending 20 seasons in the NHL.
- The Canucks are “philosphically” close to a new deal with Robert Luongo. I’ll be the first to say it – What the hell does that mean?
- Sidney Crosby is celebrating his birthday in style. He is celebrating his 22nd birthday in his hometown – with a certain large cup.
- NHL.com posted an article on the dull days of summer as we all wait for something NHL related to happen. They point out a useful link that PuckCentral.com has compiled which features NHL related people to follow to help kill off the boredom this summer. The list of NHL users to follow on Twitter can be found here.
- In case you haven’t watched ESPN in the past month, the Yankees are currently in a series against Boston. Move along, nothing to see here. If you want non-stop coverage of an average series, flip on ESPN.
- The Florida Gators are #1 in the coaches’ poll, receiving 53 of 59 first-place votes. No real surprise here that the defending champs start at #1.
- San Francisco WR Michael Crabtree may hold out the entire season and attempt to re-enter the NFL draft. They certainly don’t have an ego do they?
Video of the Week- Part 3
Craving some hockey? Aren’t we all. A vid of Oshie’s incredible goal against the Canucks. Afterall, he does destroy obstacles with reckless abandon (Oshied).